ksclarke boosted

RT @JeffJacksonNC
For the first time in North Carolina, you can now register to vote *online.*

The deadline to register to vote in North Carolina is 25 days before the election. Don't wait! If you're not registered, do it today!



On the way home tonight we rescued three kittens who had made their way into the middle of the road. Momma cat was hissing when I approached but she was very young (probably her first litter) and not making much progress getting the kids out of harm's way. It was already dark and it was amazing Christy even saw them and stopped before hitting them. I carried them well away from the road, and momma cat joined them as I walked away.

"Fresh outrage as well-connected firms nab US loans"

Even the Ayn Rand institute lined up for their chunk of government money (that was supposed to go towards keeping Mom and Pops afloat). Smdh.

"It's Been Burning for a While - Chris Pierce"

Wow. Powerful. I need to hear more music from this person.


My new favorite thing: eradman.com/entrproject/

It watches a file or files and runs a script that you give it when that file (or files) change. My IDE, using Maven as the build tool, kind of does that, but not quite well enough for my needs (it's not fine grained enough in its file selection). "Entr" gets the job done perfectly.

"Visiting North Carolina will disqualify New Yorkers from getting coronavirus sick leave"


Funny because my little town is trying (unsuccessfully) to keep out all the tourists. We've had relatively low covid numbers; the town tried to keep it that way by passing a law requiring visitors to quarantine for 14 days before they could go into local stores, etc. It was challenged. We're seeing plates from FL, TX, and NY now that things are opening up. There go our low numbers.

"GitHub redesign goes mobile-friendly – to chagrin of devs who shockingly do a lot of work on proper computers."

This explains a few things and, yes, I access GitHub through a non-mobile device 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time I use an app to access. It's not a site for which I need a mobile-first view.

GitHub, I want my information density back.


Sully is watching some dance off thing on YouTube and one of the teams looks like a bunch of frat boys (but slightly older). They're doing a very synchronized, almost robotic (but with some sway), type of dance.

I definitely have a strong negative gut reaction to a group of guys, who look like that, doing something in lockstep with one another. I have my biases, I guess, but it creeps me out, and gives me a very visceral reaction.

Yay for the responsive Tusky devs!!

I added my voice to a ticket asking them not to use CWs for shares on Android by default, and less than a week later there is a PR for it: github.com/tuskyapp/Tusky/pull

Looking forward to this app update.

I've had new tires put on and aligned and the very next day a dealership tell me my car needed an alignment. I wonder why people don't trust mechanics? </rant>

"Vegetarians are ... less extroverted than meat eaters, study finds"

"It was shown that people with predominantly plant-based foods on their diet are more introverted ... 'It is difficult to say what the reason for this is ... It could be because more introverted people tend to have more restrictive eating habits or because they are more socially segregated because of their eating habits.'"

Or, because they think more about their interrelations (w/ food, other beings).


"UC reaches groundbreaking open access deal with leading global publisher (Springer Nature)."

"The agreement, which is the largest open access agreement in North America to date, and the first for Springer Nature in the U.S., signals increasing global momentum and support for the open access movement."


ksclarke boosted

Last week the Scottish Parliament voted 52:0 to apply military sanctions on the USA.


I hadn't really thought about where all that tear gas comes from.

h/t @luminesce

Why is Tusky adding content warnings to any content that is shared via the android share mechanism, and is there a way I can stop it from doing that? </gripe>

@Greg @vickysteeves did you both have the v1 reMarkable? I have v1 but wasn't sure the upgrade was worth the price (though was tempted). Would be interested in your thoughts once you two receive your v2s. In October, I guess.

"Pandemic exposes need for broadband in rural areas" 

"North Carolina law currently prohibits counties to own or operate broadband facilities, Furman said. House Bill 431, known as the FIBER NC Act, was filed in March 2019 with the hopes of eliminating the state’s restrictions."

Internet is (i.e., should be) a public utility.


Show more

code4lib.social is a GLAM-themed Mastodon Instance.