Learned how to use youtube-dl today.
For work: profs subcontracted a local company to create some instructional videos; company posted them to YouTube and might not have the originals anymore. Profs own copyright and want copies of the videos in our institutional repository, away from an ad-plagued platform.
So if worst comes to worst, I'm ready...
Yay, our national library & archives was able to harvest our theses & dissertations collection, and I only had to tweak one thing in our DC-to-ETDMS stylesheet.
DSpace keeps throwing curves at us after ten years but it is still running and maintained, so there's that.
Turns out it was an amazing largely one-person performance by Matthew Heitl, with some assistance from puppets and shadow theatre.
I had been using a convoluted approach with an rPi 1 to provide a Google Cloud Print interface, but this is far better.
And Google Cloud Print is going away, of course: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9633006
Last night I set up a Raspberry Pi 2 as a print server for our 13 year old (!) Brother HL 2040 printer at home.
The rPi is running Fedora Server 31 so it's getting regular updates, and provides a nice web-based management UI through Cockpit.
I relied on https://gist.github.com/leafstorm/b2e91b9c9b66c82732e3d483fd90aa9f for the bulk of the printer setup info.
Should have been working on my research but was in a mood to solve this long-standing problem.
Der Calll for Contributions für die WikiCite Satellite 2020 in Köln ist raus: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiCite_Satellite_Cologne_2020#Metadata
University printing user experience
You have a sign that you want to print in black and white. When you hit Print, you can choose to send it to one of the following printers:
* Xerox Black & White
* Xerox Colour
Which do you choose?
If you chose "Xerox Black & White", your job won't be on the print queue of any printer in the library, because they're all colour printers.
Instead, send it to the colour printer, and manually override it in person to print in greyscale.
I love that https://migrate.flixstervideo.com/ has the title element "Filxster Video" [sic].
Library homepage maintenance woes
Worst part is that I can't remove the trackers on the page because it's part of the surrounding template into which my bit is included.
Library homepage maintenance woes
My only testing option is to try out changes (including PHP) in production.
At least I can run php -l to check the syntax, but I have no idea what version of PHP they're running or what extensions are available.
I guess I could try dumping the results of phpversion() and get_loaded_extensions() into a hidden block but ugh...
<subfield code="a">Indians of North America -- Canada -- Economic Autochtones -- Canada.</subfield>
No this is not how subject headings work!
I replaced over 18,000 instances of the "Indians of North America" subject heading with "Indigenous peoples--North America" in our catalogue, based on:
Bone, Christine. (2016). Modifications to the Library of Congress Subject Headings for use by Manitoba archives. Paper presented at: IFLA WLIC 2016 – Columbus, OH Retrieved from: http://library.ifla.org/1328/
Now working on over a thousand other records with variations such as ending in a period...
Curse you MARC punctuation!
Linked data dev friends: job opening at @uOttawa Humanities Lab working on the LINCS project. 24 month contract, $69K-88K salary. Apply now, closes Nov. 17th!
code4lib.social is a GLAM-themed Mastodon Instance.