Finally somewhere that gets it right! Just wash your hands.
Design for someone at the edge. When you design for someone with a disability, everyone benefits. Not once have I encountered a design that incorporates disability needs that has caused any problems for me.
[Watching live stream of Inclusive Design speaker series from Mozilla https://youtu.be/uE543v8kj50 ]
Happy Friday, lovely fediversians.
Yeah, it seems like bad stuff is all there is because that's what gets click/headlines/attention etc, but there is so much good out there in the world as well.
Remember there are so many people out there fighting for good everyday that will never get the props they deserve.
You're not alone. You're never alone.
Dear white folx,
Work on breaking your racist unconscious biases, here’s an exercise for you. If you see a POC and have an “uncomfortable” feeling/thought immediately picture that person as if they were white, if (when?) you become more comfortable then you were being racist and profiling, so stop, recognize that, be better and go on your way.
It’s not a perfect exercise but it’s a simple one, and you want to be better, which means you need to be aware of your words/thoughts/actions.
Fediverse, I have a request.
If you know a woman that is:
-from Ethiopia, Sudan or South Sudan
-Has an interest in Digital Safety and Security
Can you have them reach out to me? (DM if you need an email addy instead) We’ve a Safe Sister Digital Safety Fellowship specifically for them, and applications are open until September 28 and I’d like to send them information.
Maya Angelo been told us. When someone shows you what they are, believe them.
Updated list of #ActivityPub projects in development and/or ready to use:
DropBox/Google Drive -> @nextcloud
GrooveShark -> @funkwhale
MeetUp -> @GetTogetherComm
Google Calendar -> @calendar_social
Feedly -> #ReadAs ( @write_as )
500px -> @peerpx
work question Show more
if you are miserable at your job (and finding work that isn’t underpaid is a struggle...) do you:
a. stay at your current job until you find something better and then leave? or
b. leave and spend that time working on finding something better?
i’m beginning to lean toward b but everyone and they mother say i need to do a. sigh.
what is your experience with this? have you done a and wish you done b? or vice versa?
Use of F word and high level rant on birth control being abortion inducing. Show more
To say birth control (pill, IUD, patch, shot, etc) is abortion inducing is ignorant, it doesn’t kill anything, it PREVENTS and sir, for some it even helps regulate their hormones so they CAN get pregnant so get the fuck outta here.
Please for all the is good and holy in this world, STAY CONSISTENT WITH YOUR FILE NAMES AND CODE DOCUMENTATION!!!
I love dad jokes. I think they are the best.
My 2 favorite browser extenstions Show more
1. OneTab (allows you to collapse all open tabs into a list of URLs you can share, export, or name as a group or reopen)
2. DuplicateTab (keeps you from opening duplicate tabs, will auto close the duplicate tab -- this is a setting, it can also just notify you it's a duplicate and do nothing, and it will make the remaining tab active)
Programming is 99% plumbing, 1% really hard mathematics. When those who excel at the 1% build the remaining 99% also, you usually end up with systems that have unnecessarily-complicated plumbing.
I cannot decide if it’s because I don’t want to remember having to run the mundane manual process, if I’m just interested in figuring out how to automate what someone might say as not possible, that I’m obsessed with just MAKING it work or all of the above. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it’s hump day.
Web Systems Engineer.
Woman in tech.
code4lib.social is one server in the network